Source: 2017 Budget Message pg. 20-21
The City has adopted a number of sales tax measures over the years. This is summary of the taxes collected and what they can and can't be used for:
Sales Tax Interpretation
- Ordinance 748 creates a capital improvement fund (and authorizes bonds)
- Ordinance 917 refers to this ordinance and states it was to be used for capital improvements consisting of certain streets improvements; however, it is not in fact limited to streets.
- Ordinance 1015 allocates 2/3 of the existing sales tax for water and sewer utility infrastructure
- The "Waste-Water System Payment Plan Agreement" between the Northlands GID property owners and the City of Walsenburg provides in paragraph 8 that the City will transfer revenues | derived from capital improvement sales tax collected within the boundaries of the GID by to the GID to use for debt payments, reserve requirements and funding of short-lived assets.
- The transfer of 2/3 of this tax should be computed first.