David Roesch - Chairman
Walsenburg Planning and Zoning Commission
525 S. Albert Avenue
Walsenburg, CO 81089
The Planning and Zoning Commission is an organization established to assist residents to comply with ordinances associated with the development process in Walsenburg, CO.
The overall mission of the Planning &, Zoning Commission is to improve the safety, quality of life, and environment for the present and future generations. We will accomplish this mission by ethically and without prejudice, assisting our residents in understanding and complying with the ordinances and dealing with the environmental and development process in Walsenburg.
Chapter 16 - ZONING -
This chapter establishes zoning districts and appropriate regulations for the control of the height, area, bulk, location and use of buildings and premises. These regulations are held to be minimum requirements designed to lessen congestion in the streets; to secure safety from fire, panic and other dangers; to provide adequate light and air; to prevent overcrowding of land; to avoid undue concentration of population in certain areas; to facilitate the adequate provision of transportation, water, sewerage, schools, parks and other public requirements; and to maintain stable values of land and buildings. VIEW THIS IMPORTANT CHAPTER
The Walsenburg Planning &, Zoning Commission meets in Regular Session on the 2nd Wednesday of each month starting at 6:00pm. They may meet in Special Session at other times throughout the year and generally holds a second meeting on the 4th Wednesday of each month at 6pm.
- Meeting Agendas
Coming January 2025
Coming January 2024
- Record of Minutes
Coming January 2025
Coming January 2024
- Commission Resolutions and Recommendations
2021 R 6 - A resolution setting forth Findings of Fact and determination following a public hearing on the application for a Special Use Permit at 102 US Hwy 10, unit B, Walsenburg, CO 81089, to allow retail marijuana products manufacturing and more specifically the manufacturing of marijuana edibles using purchased extracts
Current Board Members
|Council Member||Don Martinez|
Membership and Terms of Office
The Walsenburg Planning and Zoning Commission is governed by Ordinance No. 1119 with the membership and terms of office defined as follows.
- The Planning Commission consists of the Mayor, a member of City Council and 5 members who shall be bona fide residents of the City of Walsenburg. The Commission nominates members and City Council makes the appointments.
- Resident members serve 3 year terms commencing on July 1st and ending on June 30th. Terms are staggered so the term of no more than two members expire each year.
- Resident members may not hold any other elected or appointed position in the City of Walsenburg.
- The City Administrator is required to attend meeting and act in an advisory role but has no vote.
The principle duty of the Planning Commission is the creation and maintenance of the municipal master plan. see CRS 31-23-206
In Walsenburg the Planning Commission also acts as the Zoning Board of Adjustment. see CRS 31-23-307
- Commission History and Authority
The Walsenburg Planning Commission was originally created in 1960 through Ordinance No. 532under the authority granted by Article 59 Chapter 139 Sections 1-24 of the 1953 Colorado Statutes.
The state law allows certain local modifications may be made by ordinance and the City has done so in 2011, 2013, 2015, and 2018.
Colorado law has subsequently changed and Planning Commissions are currently authorized by Title 31 Article 24 Section 202 of the Colorado Revised Statutes.
- In 2011 through Ordinance No. 997 the Planning Commission was enlarged to 9 members but otherwise made to conform to the guidance in statute. (3 ex-officio 6 resident)
- In 2013 through Ordinance No. 1037 the Planning Commission was reduced to 7 members (2 ex-officio 5 resident)
- In 2015 through Ordinance No. 1066 the Planning Commission structure was modified to remove the Council representative (1 ex-officio 6 resident)
- In 2018 through Ordinance No. 1119the existing Planning Commission structure was established (2 ex-officio 5 resident)
- ZONING MAP
- Title 31 Article 23 Part 2 - Municipal Planning Commissions
- In 2010 City Attorney Dan Hyatt outlined how the Planning Commission and Board of Adjustment works in 2 emails which are attached toOrdinance No. 532
- Authorizing Ordinances
- Municipal Plans
- City Regulations
WALSENBURG ANNEXATION ORDINANCE(Chapter 15 provides guidance but has not yet been legally adopted)
WALSENBURG ZONING ORDINANCE(Chapter 16 provides guidance but has not yet been legally adopted)
Please contact the City Clerk's Office for the latest copy of current ordinances.
- Comprehensive Plans
- Three-Mile Plans
- Sustainability Planning
- Resilience and Hazards Mitigation
- Land Use Codes
- 1041 Regulations
- Intergovernmental Agreements (IGAs)
- Planning Commission Resources
- Public Involvement
- Planning Overview & Authority
- Long-Range Planning
- Meetings and Decision-Making
- Legal and Ethical Issues